Sunday, May 22, 2011

wtf

Just got back from Mass a while ago, so I feel a tad guilty venting, but you know I will anyway.

Backstory: When DS19 "Frankie" was born, with my not having any siblings, I asked my cousin "Heather" to be Frankie's godmother. She seemed happy, then said "Oh, I have to work that day". I couldn't change the date and didn't go through with my mother's suggestion of having Heather be "godmother by proxy" as Heather didn't offer to try to rearrange her work hours, so I asked "Margaret Mary", DHs sister. We had seriously considered MM anyway.

As we had asked DHs brother, "Jack" to be the godfather, we thought it would be nice to have a representation of both families.

Margaret Mary has been a wonderful Catholic Christian role model and loving godmother/aunt to my son. When the Lord closes a door, He opens a window.

I invited Heather to the Baptisms and First Communions of all three of my kiddos. I was only invited to the Baptism of Heather's eldest child. (She has three.)

Heather and I kept in touch over the years, seeing each other now and then at family functions.

To their credit, Heather and her mother, my Aunt Helga, visited my late father, Joe, while he was ill in the hospital and the rehab center. However, "Dick", Heather's father and my Dad's brother, did not, in a two year span, citing that it would be "emotional anguish" for him. Admittedly, Dick is elderly and has some health issues, but he managed fine in attending other events, including Joe's funeral, where he was his charming self, singing and joke-telling.

So, I'm on an emotional high today after singing at an inspirational liturgy, along with other things going remarkably and uncharacteristically well. Then, I go on FB and see pictures of Heather's son's First Communion, along with flashback photos of his Baptism, neither of which, of course, I was invited to. There's the godparents, childhood friends of Heather and her husband, with the lad at Baptism and Communion. There's Dick, Helga and others. My bubble just burst.

An invitation to these events would have been nice. I don't get it.

DH and I weren't invited to the wedding of Brenda's son (Brenda is my other cousin, Heather's sister) either. Heather's kids were in the bridal party.

True to form, I'll probably just suck this one up too. Sigh.

No comments: